Hopefully you brush your teeth every day, but do you brush your tongue? If you’re not brushing your tongue, is this a habit you should develop? As your dentist in Katy and Houston, TX, the professionals at Chloe Dental are here to help you get answers to dental questions like this one. Here’s what you should know about brushing your tongue in Katy and Houston, TX.
Tongue Brushing Vs. Tongue Scraping
Tongue brushing can help remove some bacteria in the mouth, and can also help you maintain fresher breath. However, there’s an even more effective tool for cleaning your tongue: a tongue scraper.
A tongue scraper is a device that removes dead cells and bacteria from the surface of the tongue, and it does so more effectively than simple brushing. Below are some of the benefits of scraping your tongue:
- Less bacteria. Scraping your tongue removes a layer of bacteria that lives on the tongue. This bacteria can be responsible for tooth decay.
- Improved breath. Bacteria causes bad breath, so doing anything to remove bacteria from the mouth can help make your breath smell cleaner and fresher.
- Improved oral hygiene. Keeping your mouth clean of bacteria can help improve your overall oral hygiene and may lead to fewer cavities and other oral health problems.
- Improved appearance of the tongue. Tongues can develop a layer of white plaque on top, but scraping your tongue can remove this layer.
- Improved sense of taste. This may come as a surprise, but scraping your tongue can lead to an improved sense of taste.
It’s important to take good care of your teeth and gums. In addition to brushing or scraping your tongue, you can have good oral hygiene by coming to the dentist for regular dental exams in Katy and Houston, TX. See your dentist every six months for a comprehensive cleaning. Call today to make an appointment.